As one of twelve regions designated by the state as a Smart Digital Initiatives Hub (de:Hub), the Leipzig Region’s focus on Energy and Smart City involves an accelerator programme focussing on smart infrastructure, bringing together various regional cluster organisations. In addition, numerous events and innovation formats all play a supporting role in enabling a profitable exchange of ideas.
With facilities such as the Fraunhofer Institutes CSP, IMWS and CBP, the German Biomass Research Centre (DBFZ) or the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), the Leipzig Region’s research landscape also stands up to comparison with other top worldwide locations.
Business and research go hand in hand in the Leipzig Region serving a broad spectrum of future technologies – from renewable energies to novel storage technologies and highly efficient plants to digital solutions – that will shape the lives of generations to come.
in the region
growth since 2005
industrial and commercial area
Energy and environmental technology businesses in the Leipzig Region
Internationally active companies such as the Gas Trading Group VNG or the European Power Exchange EEX which has grown to become the most important energy trade location in Europe, together employ around 1,700 people in the Leipzig Region. These organisations have long shaped the local energy sector attracting other companies such as Verbio BioFuel and Technology and Energy2market.
Energy & environmental research partners in the Leipzig Region
The Leipzig Region offers an excellent research landscape for energy and environmental technology. Research institutions of international renown include the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research UFZ, the German Biomass Research Centre DBFZ, the German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research iDiv, the Leibniz Institute for Surface Engineering IOM and the three Fraunhofer Institutes CSP, IMWS and CBP located in the centre.
Energy and environmental technology business networks in the Leipzig Region
There are several networks that businesses in the energy and environmental sector can utilise, including:
- The Network Energy & Environment e.V. (NEU e. V.) is the central network for energy and environmental technology players in the Leipzig Region. It combines the individual expertise of more than 70 members, including large companies, SMEs, research and educational institutions, public administration, associations and committed individuals.
- Energy Saxony e.V., the energy cluster for Saxony, brings together decision-makers from industry, science and economic policy to promote the sustainable development and marketing of future cutting-edge technologies in the fields of energy, electromobility and digitalisation.
- The HYPOS network (Hydrogen Power Storage & Solutions) is pursuing the establishment of a model region for hydrogen in Germany to accelerate the production, storage, distribution, and widespread use of green hydrogen in the chemical industry, refinery mobility and energy supply.
The Leipzig Science Network also connects universities, colleges and numerous non-university research institutes.
Depending on the exact nature of your work, there are also more specific business networks that may prove useful:
- The BioEconomy Cluster, where partners from industry and research are working on the fundamentals of the material and energetic use of non-food biomass.
- The Education and Demonstration Centre for Decentralised Wastewater Treatment (BDZ) is one of the most modern demonstration systems for small wastewater plants in Germany. The manufacturer-neutral, independent platform brings together members from business, science, politics and administration offering training, information events and workshops to companies and research institutions from Germany and abroad.
- The RWTec research and innovation network, which consists of companies and research institutions, further develops radio wave technology for the direct heating of a wide variety of materials, in various usable processes and products.
- The Biomass Energy Utilisation Network, where more than 650 partners are researching the further practical development of competitive technologies, especially in combustion, gasification and fermentation of biomass. The German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) funds the development of “Biomass energy use”, ensuring that research results can be implemented even faster in practice. The aim is to accelerate the transfer of technology and innovation for a successful energy system transformation.
Energy & environmental technology education in the Leipzig Region
Around 10,000 students enjoy an excellent education in relevant STEM subjects at the region’s universities and colleges every year. Moreover, highly qualified specialists can usually be recruited from the rich pool of graduates within one to two months.
Important industry players such as the Environmental Research Centre (UFZ), the Institute for Applied Informatics (InfAI), the HYPOS Network and the German Biomass Research Centre regularly organise conferences, meetings, symposia, workshops, expert talks and lectures. The specialist events provide an attractive platform for exchanges between leaders in science, business and politics.
Living in the Leipzig Region
Leipzig is often called “the new Berlin” and is the perfect location for scientists, researchers, plant workers and executives within energy and environmental technology businesses. With great public transport around the region as well as cyclist-friendly traffic layouts, the daily commute is easy and enjoyable. If people want to travel further, Leipzig is located at a junction for major railway lines across the country, with the international Leipzig/Halle airport only 30 minutes from the city centre.
The cost of living is almost half of what it is in Berlin with low crime rates so you can feel safe wherever you live. The Leipzig Region also has a range of facilities for all ages including multi-lingual schools, parks, zoos, opera houses, sports venues and plenty of nightlife.
Relocation services for your energy & environmental technology business
Invest Region Leipzig is a unique partner in Germany for companies looking to relocate or start a business in the region.
We’re here to help you throughout your whole relocation journey including:
- Searching for suitable space
- Identifying skilled workers
- Connecting you with business partners
- Providing tailored confidential information to support your relocation
- Researching cluster infrastructure
- Helping you with funding opportunities
Moreover, thanks to our free of charge soft-landing programme, nowhere in Germany is easier to invest in as the Leipzig Region.
The Leipzig Region: a hub for energy and environmental technology businesses
No matter what area of energy and environmental technology your business specialises in, there is a place for you in the Leipzig Region. We work with several types of energy and Envirotech organisations across all of the following sub-sectors.
- Solar and photovoltaic technologies
- Wind power technologies
- Geothermal energy
Digital energy management & energy trading
- Energy Management
- IT Security
- Virtual Power Plants
- Smart Grids
Storage technologies and energy networks
- Electronic and mechanical electricity storage
- Battery technology
- Hydrogen and fuel technologies
- (power-to-gas & power-to-heat)
- Heating and cooling technology
- Lighting technology
- Smart home
- Smart metering
- Smart building technology
- Measurement and control technology
- Recycling technologies
- Resource management
- Material recycling technologies
Raw material and material efficiency
- Sustainable and recyclable plastics production
- Paper and pulp production
- Chemical processes
Germany-Vietnam energy partnership discussions commence – NEU e.V. supports partnership relations
Michael Körner - Managing Director Invest Region Leipzig GmbH, Vo Quang Lam - Vice President EVN and Clemens Schülke - Head of the Office for Economic Development (Photo rights: @GIZ Vietnam/Frederic Schweizer)A contribution by Netzwerk Energie & Umwelt e. V. As...
INTENSE AG: A new Leipzig location for a long-standing specialist in software and IT consulting
“The university landscape in Leipzig played a decisive role in the location decision for INTENSE AG. Without the support of Invest Region Leipzig it would have been more difficult to find an office. Leipzig has already been named the most beautiful of all branches.”
Leipzig: a wealth of opportunities
Leipzig is Germany’s fastest-growing city, with a young, creative community, a huge student population, a thriving digital and tech industry and an age-old tradition of commerce...
Innovation Agency chooses Leipzig as its location
Leipzig wins location bid for Agentur für Sprunginnovationen! Leipzig distinguishes itself through its position as a beacon for innovation.
Our colleagues visit Hannover Messe, the world’s leading trade fair for the industry. This year’s lead theme of the fair is “Industrial Transformation”. Venue: Hannover Messe Meet us at Europe´s leading event for Digital Health 2023 in Berlin! Venue: Messe Berlin We are at the international trade show for intralogistics solutions and process management to promote the prime logistics location Leipzig. Venue: Messe Stuttgart
Trade Fair Visit DE: Hannover Messe 2023
Trade Fair Visit DE: DMEA
Trade Fair Visit DE: LogiMAT
Our colleagues visit Hannover Messe, the world’s leading trade fair for the industry. This year’s lead theme of the fair is “Industrial Transformation”. Venue: Hannover Messe
Meet us at Europe´s leading event for Digital Health 2023 in Berlin! Venue: Messe Berlin
We are at the international trade show for intralogistics solutions and process management to promote the prime logistics location Leipzig. Venue: Messe Stuttgart