As one of twelve regions designated by the state as a Smart Digital Initiatives Hub (de:Hub), the Leipzig Region’s focus on Energy and Smart City involves an accelerator programme focussing on smart infrastructure, bringing together various regional cluster organisations. In addition, numerous events and innovation formats all play a supporting role in enabling a profitable exchange of ideas.
With facilities such as the Fraunhofer Institutes CSP, IMWS and CBP, the German Biomass Research Centre (DBFZ) or the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), the Leipzig Region’s research landscape also stands up to comparison with other top worldwide locations.
Business and research go hand in hand in the Leipzig Region serving a broad spectrum of future technologies – from renewable energies to novel storage technologies and highly efficient plants to digital solutions – that will shape the lives of generations to come.
in the region
growth since 2005
industrial and commercial area
Energy and environmental technology businesses in the Leipzig Region
Internationally active companies such as the Gas Trading Group VNG or the European Power Exchange EEX which has grown to become the most important energy trade location in Europe, together employ around 1,700 people in the Leipzig Region. These organisations have long shaped the local energy sector attracting other companies such as Verbio BioFuel and Technology and Energy2market.
Energy & environmental research partners in the Leipzig Region
The Leipzig Region offers an excellent research landscape for energy and environmental technology. Research institutions of international renown include the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research UFZ, the German Biomass Research Centre DBFZ, the German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research iDiv, the Leibniz Institute for Surface Engineering IOM and the three Fraunhofer Institutes CSP, IMWS and CBP located in the centre.
Energy and environmental technology business networks in the Leipzig Region
There are several networks that businesses in the energy and environmental sector can utilise, including:
- The Network Energy & Environment e.V. (NEU e. V.) is the central network for energy and environmental technology players in the Leipzig Region. It combines the individual expertise of more than 70 members, including large companies, SMEs, research and educational institutions, public administration, associations and committed individuals.
- Energy Saxony e.V., the energy cluster for Saxony, brings together decision-makers from industry, science and economic policy to promote the sustainable development and marketing of future cutting-edge technologies in the fields of energy, electromobility and digitalisation.
- The HYPOS network (Hydrogen Power Storage & Solutions) is pursuing the establishment of a model region for hydrogen in Germany to accelerate the production, storage, distribution, and widespread use of green hydrogen in the chemical industry, refinery mobility and energy supply.
The Leipzig Science Network also connects universities, colleges and numerous non-university research institutes.
Depending on the exact nature of your work, there are also more specific business networks that may prove useful:
- The BioEconomy Cluster, where partners from industry and research are working on the fundamentals of the material and energetic use of non-food biomass.
- The Education and Demonstration Centre for Decentralised Wastewater Treatment (BDZ) is one of the most modern demonstration systems for small wastewater plants in Germany. The manufacturer-neutral, independent platform brings together members from business, science, politics and administration offering training, information events and workshops to companies and research institutions from Germany and abroad.
- The RWTec research and innovation network, which consists of companies and research institutions, further develops radio wave technology for the direct heating of a wide variety of materials, in various usable processes and products.
- The Biomass Energy Utilisation Network, where more than 650 partners are researching the further practical development of competitive technologies, especially in combustion, gasification and fermentation of biomass. The German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) funds the development of “Biomass energy use”, ensuring that research results can be implemented even faster in practice. The aim is to accelerate the transfer of technology and innovation for a successful energy system transformation.
Energy & environmental technology education in the Leipzig Region
Around 10,000 students enjoy an excellent education in relevant STEM subjects at the region’s universities and colleges every year. Moreover, highly qualified specialists can usually be recruited from the rich pool of graduates within one to two months.
Important industry players such as the Environmental Research Centre (UFZ), the Institute for Applied Informatics (InfAI), the HYPOS Network and the German Biomass Research Centre regularly organise conferences, meetings, symposia, workshops, expert talks and lectures. The specialist events provide an attractive platform for exchanges between leaders in science, business and politics.
Living in the Leipzig Region
Leipzig is often called “the new Berlin” and is the perfect location for scientists, researchers, plant workers and executives within energy and environmental technology businesses. With great public transport around the region as well as cyclist-friendly traffic layouts, the daily commute is easy and enjoyable. If people want to travel further, Leipzig is located at a junction for major railway lines across the country, with the international Leipzig/Halle airport only 30 minutes from the city centre.
The cost of living is almost half of what it is in Berlin with low crime rates so you can feel safe wherever you live. The Leipzig Region also has a range of facilities for all ages including multi-lingual schools, parks, zoos, opera houses, sports venues and plenty of nightlife.
Relocation services for your energy & environmental technology business
Invest Region Leipzig is a unique partner in Germany for companies looking to relocate or start a business in the region.
We’re here to help you throughout your whole relocation journey including:
- Searching for suitable space
- Identifying skilled workers
- Connecting you with business partners
- Providing tailored confidential information to support your relocation
- Researching cluster infrastructure
- Helping you with funding opportunities
Moreover, thanks to our free of charge soft-landing programme, nowhere in Germany is easier to invest in as the Leipzig Region.
The Leipzig Region: a hub for energy and environmental technology businesses
No matter what area of energy and environmental technology your business specialises in, there is a place for you in the Leipzig Region. We work with several types of energy and Envirotech organisations across all of the following sub-sectors.
- Solar and photovoltaic technologies
- Wind power technologies
- Geothermal energy
Digital energy management & energy trading
- Energy Management
- IT Security
- Virtual Power Plants
- Smart Grids
Storage technologies and energy networks
- Electronic and mechanical electricity storage
- Battery technology
- Hydrogen and fuel technologies
- (power-to-gas & power-to-heat)
- Heating and cooling technology
- Lighting technology
- Smart home
- Smart metering
- Smart building technology
- Measurement and control technology
- Recycling technologies
- Resource management
- Material recycling technologies
Raw material and material efficiency
- Sustainable and recyclable plastics production
- Paper and pulp production
- Chemical processes
Numerous representatives of the new companies in Leipzig came to the Gewandhaus for the celebratory reception (Image source: Stefan Hoyer/ PUNCTUM) During the last two Corona years, companies decided to expand to a new location despite an uncertain situation. During...
Michael Körner - Managing Director Invest Region Leipzig GmbH, Vo Quang Lam - Vice President EVN and Clemens Schülke - Head of the Office for Economic Development (Photo rights:...
Leipzig awarded 3rd place in the ranking of the fDi Magazine’s 10 largest European cities of the future
MIPIM FDI Award: Florian Schmidtner, Invest Region Leipzig GmbH and Clemens Schülke, Head of the Office for Economic Development hold the FDI - Certificate Top 10 "Strategy Large...
Completely biodegradable: the urgrow Basecamp indoor farming system with daylight technology Harvesting strawberries on the windowsill in winter? urgrow with its completely...
Leipzig city has been actively committed to a climate-conscious city for a long time. With the energy and climate protection program adopted in 2014, we have paved Leipzig’s path in climate protection and have now implemented many of our planned measures.
Dr. Marco Peisker, Site manager, adesso SE
"The city has seen fantastic development over the last few years. We wanted to be closer to our regional partners and customers. It's easier to forge closer relationships with companies when you're there"
Shwet Sabharwal, Branch Manager Leipzig Tech Mahindra
"I strongly recommend the soft-landing approach from Invest Region Leipzig because of it’s numerous advantages for every company planning to set up business in the Leipzig region."
Tobias Drechsel, CEO Thinkport GmbH
"We are glad to have taken this step and gone to Leipzig to be able to further develop Thinkport ... Invest Region Leipzig made it extremely easy for us to get started in Leipzig. Especially the personal support and the prepared information about the location helped us to get an overview. I can really recommend to contact IRL if an expansion to Leipzig is in question."
Ingmar Bergmann, Regional Manager Region East
"A high potential of skilled workers, especially due to the universities and colleges in the Saxon region, was an advantage for us. In addition, there is a good investment climate for medium-sized companies, here through the support of the SAB, which helped us a lot ... The discussions and advice provided by Invest Region Leipzig GmbH have also supported us."
Eileen Walther, Country Manager Germany, NORTHWAVE Intelligent Security Operations
"The city is very centrally located. Since we operate throughout Germany, proximity was a crucial factor. Leipzig is very well connected in terms of infrastructure. It is a liveable, beautiful city and therefore an attraction for talented employees."
Steven Ponndorf, site manager, Xitaso
“The support we received from Invest Region Leipzig GmbH, was extremely helpful because we were not in Leipzig at the time we were seeking a new location and had little knowledge of the region apart from visiting the city. The cooperation with Invest Region Leipzig helped us a lot…”
Daniel Schwemmer, Sales Manager, Flexfab
“The professional appearance of the IRL encouraged us in our decision to choose Leipzig. The service is free, the way of working is very structured, you can tell immediately that this is not the first time IRL has done this. It all makes sense. IRL organised the visits for interesting properties.”